- Pocono Mountain School District
Board continues enhanced senior citizen property tax rebates
Pocono Mountain School District’s (PMSD) enhanced property tax rebates for eligible property owners will continue for the 2022-2023 fiscal year.
The district’s Board of Education approved the enhanced property tax rebates in April 2016, and has continued to offer the enhanced rebates each fiscal year since to provide qualifying property owners with additional tax relief above the state rebate rate. The current Board approved the continuation of the enhanced senior citizen property tax rebates through a vote at a public meeting on June 15, 2022.
For many years, the district matched the state rebate program established by the PA Senior Citizen’s Property Tax and Rent Rebate Program Act. That changed in April 2016, when the School Board passed its first resolution for the enhanced tax relief.
With the enhanced rebate resolution, qualifying property owners will receive their state rebate of up to $650 and then up to 200 percent of that amount in a rebate from the school district.
The guidelines for individuals to qualify for the state and PMSD property tax rebate programs are as follows:
- Must own and have occupied their home as their primary residents during the school year of which the tax rebate is being requested;
- They or their spouse must have been at least 65 years old as of December 31 of the tax year;
- They were permanently disabled during all or part of tax year;
- Must be 18 years or older and were unable to work because of a permanent medically determined physical or mental disability;
- Their total tax year household income must have been $ 35,000 or less. Fifty percent of social security/railroad retirement income shall be excluded in determining eligibility income limits;
- They or someone on their behalf must have paid the school taxes in full on the residence for applicable school year by December 31;
- Only one member of each household may file a claim even if more than one person is qualified to receive a rebate.
The application to apply for a property tax rebate and other information on the program are available to qualifying property owners from PMSD on the school district’s website under the Business Department. Individuals who do not have access to the Internet may call the Pocono Mountain business office at (570) 839-7121, extension 10163 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. for more information.