PMSD hosts propane safety training for nearly 60 volunteer firefighters
PMSD hosts propane safety training for nearly 60volunteer firefighters
Nearly 60 firefighters from Pocono Mountain fire departments participated in a propane fire safety workshop on Monday, October 16, 2023, on the Swiftwater Campus.
The safety training workshop was to familiarize local fire departments and fire fighters with the new propane filling station installed on the Swiftwater Campus to refill propane school buses. The training session also included information on propane buses, which are included in the school bus fleet located on the campus.
“We really appreciate our local volunteer firefighters making time in the evening to come to this important propane filling station and bus safety training session,” said Vicky Schuch, Pocono Mountain School District Director of Procurement. “It’s important that our local fire fighters, who respond to emergencies on our school campuses, understand the types of fuels we store on our campuses and the types of school buses that are part of the bus fleets located on our Swiftwater and Sullivan Trail Campuses.
Station 32 Pocono Mountain Volunteer Fire Company Fire Chief Logan Evans coordinated with the local fire departments on the training arranged by Ms. Schuch.
Monday evening’s training session was provided by Gary Nouse, current chairman of the safety and education committee for the Virginia Propane Gas Association. Firefighters from the following stations attended the propane safety session: Station 22 Barrett Township VFC, Station 25 Coolbaugh Township VFC, Station 32 Pocono Mountain VFC, Station 33 Pocono Summit VFC, Station 34 Pocono Township VFC, Station 44 Tobyhanna Township Bureau of Fire, and Station 47 Tobyhanna Army Depot Fire & Emergency Services.
Pocono Mountain SD installed the propane filling station on the Swiftwater Campus for use beginning in the 2023-24 school year. Both the Swiftwater and Sullivan Trail campuses also include a diesel and gasoline filling station for school buses and other school vehicles.
Thank you to all of the local volunteer firefighters who attended this important safety training session.